As a part of the process to assess public heath surveillance, the CDC/ATSDR leadership conducted a survey that revealed the following top six issues that must be addressed by the public health community to advance public health surveillance in the 21st century:
- Lexicon, definitions, and conceptual framework for public health surveillance;
- Global health surveillance;
- Roles of information sciences and technological advances in public health surveillance;
- Public health surveillance work force of the future;
- Accessing and using data for public health surveillance: legal, policy, ethical, regulatory, and practical concerns related to data sharing; and
- Analytical challenges for emerging public health surveillance.